The front entrance of the Jasper Cultural & Historical Centre is in line for a 2021 improvement. The steps are to be resurfaced and a wheelchair ramp installed at an estimated cost of $18,000 to $20,000.
Donny White, Jasper board chair, said he hoped the project will start early in the new year.
“It will take place as soon as it is warm enough to lay cement,” he said.
More exterior enhancements are planned for 2022: they involve moving the sign, which tends to block the building to people coming up Jasper Street, closer to the spruce tree and creating a new entrance. White said that the changes should tie the Centre closer to activities in the downtown core.
They are part of initiatives outlined in the Strategic Plan 2021- 2022, which was put together during meetings on Dec. 3 and 7. Present at the meetings were the Jasper board and Jon Bowie, a former member. Michael Morrow and Barb Weinberger had also been invited, but were unable to attend. Other work in the pipeline includes:
• The removal of a toilet and installation of a new sink in the North West Rental Room (basement);
• Lighting upgrades upstairs in the Dixon Exhibition, Women’s Gallery, hallway and Post Office room;
• Replacing blinds and installing an air conditioning window unit in the office area;
• Investigating codes related to the possible development of a separate entrance to the South East Basement Room, and completing plumbing;
• Determining the use of the South West Basement Room, while continuing with upgrades;
• Replacing the fence on Maple Street or introducing a landscaping concept in 2022; and
• Completing brickwork parging to the Jasper Centre’s facade.
One part of the Strategic Plan dealt with public relations and marketing. The hope is for the Centre to reach new audiences, partly by improving partnerships with Cypress Interprovincial Park (Cypress & Elkwater), and the cities of Swift Current, Medicine Hat and other are communities.
Another idea is to develop a “donor wall” in the small alcove adjacent to the office. It will change annually and include current and past donors.
“Included in the wall development will be a component recognizing the passing of pioneers throughout the year who have reached a specific milestone in age,” said White.