“Why am I so depressed?”
”I’m so angry and I just can’t seem to control it.”
”Bitterness is eating me up on the inside.”
“I’m so afraid of the future!”
“I’m tormented day and night with such a load of guilt.”
“I’m hurting from the sting of ______”(name the pain– rejection, false accusations, etc.)
“I carry such a load of pain of unforgiveness.”
No list of New Year’s resolutions can cure these familiar laments, because when we try to wish away our inner problems by the intellect we will always fail.
Depression, anger, bitterness, inability to forgive, fear and guilt are afflictions of the emotions. Reasoning will never erase them from our mind. It’s useless to tell a person in a paroxysm of fear that there’s nothing to be afraid of. His intellect might also be telling him that. But his emotions have gripped him in a vice that won’t let go.
There is a tried and true remedy for strong, negative memories, emotions and feelings. The remedy is prayer, friends. You can give your negative emotions, memories, and feelings to the great Burden-bearer, Jesus Christ. It requires nothing but honesty and openness to the ear of the caring Saviour (who already knows everything about us!):
1. In prayer give to Jesus the specific situation, memory, or emotion. If the emotion is too deeply entrenched you can ask Jesus to take it, because you cannot even give it over. Often it helps to have a dedicated Christian friend pray with you when you are severely troubled.
2. Ask for the cleansing and healing promised in the word of God.
3. Ask for a barrier to be set up against picking up the same familiar load that may have distressed you for so long.
4. Ask for the mind of Jesus so you can focus on heavenly themes. If you’ll take time with the word of God and with prayer you’ll discover Bible principles to apply and to strengthen you.
5. Thank the Lord for fulfilling His promises, and go on your way rejoicing in His power to deliver you. Although you may, or may not ‘feel’ the burden lifted, claim it by faith. God is faithful. Your cleansing is real, assured by the trustworthiness of God. Believe His word and claim His promise by faith. Feelings follow our faith walk.
This is a simple remedy, prescribed by the heavenly doctor, Christ Jesus. It costs little, just time to persevere in prayer and trust in divine power. But it pays big dividends in heavy, even longstanding loads being lifted! You can face life with confidence and walk with a spring in your step and hope in your heart. It has worked for me and I am sure it will work for you. (For some helpful Scripture texts to get started read; Isaiah 41:10; Psalm 51:10, 103:1-6; Matthew 6:9-15, 11:28-30, 18:19; 1 Peter 5:6, 7; 1 John 1:9.)